It can be normal to experience swelling, and sometimes bleeding or bruising for the first few days post-piercing.
0 – 2 Weeks
- Keep your piercing clean, dry and away from any materials that may pull or irritate the area.
- Wash your hands with soap and water. Clean three times a day with oral safe aftercare.
- Do not remove jewellery.
- Avoid swimming, spas, saunas and excessive sweating.
- Rinse thoroughly after showering.
- Consider using a hairdryer on the gentle setting to dry any excess moisture.
- Change pillowcase regularly.
- Avoid dairy, excessive sugar, spicy food, alcohol and cigarettes for the first two weeks.
2 – 6 weeks
Continue your twice-daily cleaning routine and ensure optimal sanitisation.
6- 8 weeks
You can now change your jewellery to a slightly shorter length/style. Always use sterile jewellery and if you are noticing any lingering redness or sensitivities, hold back from changing for an additional two weeks. Downsizing is an important factor of the healing process to ensure permanent damage isn’t caused to the teeth and gums.
What to expect: It is normal to expect some minor pain or sensation in the area for a few days. If you notice any swelling, redness or visible changes, please visit us and we’re happy to help.
Healing Time: Up to 3 – 6 months for full healing, depending on the individual.