We are all about fun here at Celebrity Ink, to celebrate that we have found 15 fun facts you may not have known about tattoos. Check them out below.
- Winston Churchill, the famous British Prime Minister had an anchor tattoo on his right arm, and his mother had a snake tattoo on her right wrist.
- Tommy Lee has his name in the Guinness World Record books for becoming the first man to be tattooed mid-air in 2007.
- More women than men around the world are getting tattooed now-a-days.
- Tattoos are considered a minor medical procedure.
- Lucky Diamond Rich of New Zealand is the most tattooed person in the world.
- Otzi the Iceman is the first recorded person to have a tattoo. His mummified body was found in 3300 BC, with 58 tattoos made up of mostly dots and lines.
- Thomas Edison invented a machine that would later become the first tattoo machine, with later modifications by Samuel O’Reilly it was adapted for tattooing as we know it today.
- 1 in 4 women aged 18-50 have at least 1 tattoo.
- Italy has the highest percentage of people who have at least one tattoo at 48% of the population, with Australia coming in closely behind in fourth position with 43%.
- 35 out of the 45 US Presidents have had tattoos.
- Along with Ancient Greece and Rome, Ancient Egyptians used tattoos to differentiate between slaves, peasants and criminals.
- Tattoo machines can make upwards of 200 hits per second, that’s up to 12,000 times a minute.
- The majority of tattoo inks is made from meta salts and not vegetable dye like many believe.
- Black tattoos are easier to remove than coloured tattoos.
- The majority of tattooed Egyptian mummies were female.
There a definitely loads more exciting facts about tattoos, why not come into one of our studios for your next tattoo and chat to your artist about more tattoo trivia.