Next to ‘how much did it hurt?’, being asked the meaning behind a tattoo would be the most common question anyone with a tattoo will be asked over and over again. The answer to the first question is easy, it is about the same as a minor sunburn. However, the answer to the second question can be as complicated or as simple as you want!
For tattoos like the names of children, the emblem of your favourite sporting team or a something pop-culture related, these can have a pretty straightforward answer, but for a design that’s very original or requires a bit of a narrative to explain the meaning behind it, it can often be tricky to navigate.
HOW TO EXPLAIN YOUR TATTOO’S MEANING
The first step in answering this question is to make sure you have a clear understanding of what your tattoo means to you and remember there is no right or wrong answer.
Tip: If you are getting a tattoo with significant meaning that is clear to you but might need a bit more explanation for other people to understand it, think about the conversations you’ve had with your tattoo artist when they were drawing the initial designs for your piece. These conversations are a great starting point to help build your answer.
The next step is to consider the story you want to assign to it, and structure it the way all good film and novel stories are told. Below is a typical story structure we’ve made work for you and your tattoo:
- Introduction – To start, you need to set the scene of what led to the decision to get your tattoo, it can be very simple.
- Action – Here is where you would go into the life changing event or major milestone that gave you the idea to get your tattoo. You can give as much or as little detail as you want.
- Climax – This is a fun part! Here you talk about what you wanted to get, maybe mention a few different ideas you had.
- Action – Now it is time to bring it together. Talk about the design you settled on and the experience you had with your tattoo artist.
- Ending – Almost done and trust us, this is by far the easiest part. At this point all you need to do is show off your design and tell them when your next one is booked!
Finding a tattoo design with meaning can be a challenge and it is something you shouldn’t feel like you have to do it on your own. Speak with your tattoo artist to get their thoughts on what will work, they will be able to point you in the right direction. For a bit of help with getting you started, have a look at the meaning behind some of these traditional tattoos - https://sailorjerry.com/en-gb/tattoos/
Do you have something in mind you want to get as a tattoo but not sure if it will work or if it will have the right meaning? Reach out to us here to make a booking and chat with one of our tattoo artists who can help you get and communicate the right piece.